Monday 11 February 2008

there.com #8

I've managed to go further afield this time and found some new sights.

First up, I ported to a beach like place, but not the usual sand and sea affair. This one had proper docks, with speed boats and everything.



Somebody had cleverly made a teleport link. I'm surprised I've not seen more of these around, as they are a good idea. The main teleport system drops you off randomly, so it's not always a given that'll you be able to quickly get back to a certain place on an island. That's if you can even remember what island it was on! This teleport linker adds a direct transfer back to this spot, for the race course and club house. All I'd need do is click the link and I'd be exactly where I wanted. I know, I know, what's wrong with walking from the main drop off? The virtual world is easily changeable, it can be revised, upgraded. So why not!
.

A bit further down the beach, somebody had made a very nice set up in the sea. You could jump in a little rowing boat, and if you were lucky enough to be able to convince somebody to join you, you could have had a very nice little romantic date! The sun went down, the moon came out. Very nice installation!
.

After thinking of songs which I could see playing along to my romantic setup, I realised the most apt would be "All By Myself" and so jumped out to save further embarassment!

I then went on a little further to find something else quite embarassing: a caravan park, or "trailer park"! There were a number of them around, and it struck me that this may be down to some devoted Americans not wanting to forgo real life surroundings in this here virtual one. Needless to say, I soon became encarcerated in one of the boxes, which wouldn't let me out. All I could see was white, white white and it wouldn't let me scarper! That teaches me for being nosy and mocking the trailer park!
.

The only way to get out was to teleport, so I chose Coca Cola Metro, which I've visited before, but a long long time ago. I was suitably impressed with this place. Unfortunately my interenet connection here is slooooow, so the colours and textures of the buildings surrounding me didn't load, but the main feature, defining the place I was in (Coca Cola), was fully functioning. A building was adorned in the red and white swoosh, along with a massive cloud spelling Coca Cola. It was a neat touch, I certainly liked the nod towards the brand.
.

Now there seem to be a few features that are becoming regulars for diary entries. The first of which is vehicles. Again, new day, and so, in keeping, new vehicle. I managed to navigate myself back to the very beginning island, which isn't listed in the interface as I guess they presume once you've learnt the buttons and so on, you won't want to go back to 'Fisher Island'. However, I found it useful.

They were offering free trials of items, be it bee wings, or red hot hover bikes! (I chose both.)
.

I moaned before about the speed of some of the vehicles, for example, the jet pack, yet this bike was a different kettle of fish. It blasted off, most of the time meaning it was difficult to keep up with the action on screen! And the speed was confirmed after I took a race, gaining my highest ever lap time (and that was even with a mess up in the middle where I missed one of the checkpoints.)
.

The second thing I'll refer back to, are the weird animal statues dotted all over there.com. This time, I met a striking pink flamingo. The attention to detail was actually pretty good, the neck curved nicely, the texture mapping flowed out well and I thought it a good piece of modelling (disregarding whether it would be easy to do or not!). This leads me to think, what next? A waving panda? A spitting camel? Lol, never say never!
.

I also think that the treasure hunt I was slowly pursuing may have expired, as on the information pages when you log in, it now displays a Valentines section. With the day not that long away, I presumed it'd be full of people wanting to meet, or restaurants that would be adding a heart here or there in their decor to celebrate the day. I was right to some extent. There are also going to be heart quests, where you have to travel over a certain island looking for heart symbols. Now I won't make any promises, but at least it would have been an option for me, if I were to have been spending Valentines day alone. Luckily though, I won't have to. But what sort of person would spend Valentines day online, searching around and talking to other random people... ha, quite a lot I can bet! - You can't even such people to get a life, as they have already... a real one, a virtual one, maybe even more!
.

I think that's enough rambling for today. I would have thought by now that I wouldn't be finding anything new to catch my eye, but the extra bit you walk often results in finding something. As a last little thing, whilst I'm pasting my images into Paint to put on here, my avatar obviously has to wait for me. In his boredom I returned today to find him to o so macho, with his hands on his hips! It made me laugh - what if I was wanting 'atlasalone' (my avatar) to be a man's man in there.com?! lol, not when he's being this camp:
.
@

No comments: