Tuesday 26 February 2008

there.com #13

Well this is my 13th post, and contrary to the norm, it wasn't unlucky for me!

First off, I think I should say that for the majority of my trips into cyber space, I have ran around, found things that fly, seen weird things and pretty much steered clear of people... and I still haven't changed my ways! lol

Don't get me wrong I have tried to start up a conversation by saying 'hello' but most people either don't reply, or just run off! I mean, what am I doing so wrong!!
So for this post, here is my mention of people: there was a large collection of them all chatting away and enjoying each other's company. But not me! In there, I much prefer a solitary life, in truth, I'm a loner!



And following this point, I think it fits well with these other people who are all alone, reason being, they are dead! It sounds funny to say, but somebody has made some ghosts that are transparent and just hover/float. They really have no use nor ornament, but still, it fits with the graveyard right next to them!! The skeleton returns, this time again in a comical way, as this time he is digging a grave, a fresh one by the looks of it too! -I wonder, come the end of this module, will I too be rewarded with a virtual grave? ANSWER: No, cos that'll cost therebucks which I don't have!!



I walked onwards following the same strip of beach, and came across this structure which I really liked. The flower look is quite nice, and the way a spiral staircase leads you up the stem to the flower seating area is a nice touch. One of the bonuses to such a set up is that whilst "talking" to your friends, you have an aerial view, and it feels less cramp, due to the camera being able to swing around more freely. In all, it's unusual, it's qwerky, but in a good way!
.
.
Next up, my journey seemed to turn into a zoo trip. Usually I come across one animal model, making it something of a speciality at the time. Today though, I found butterflies, a byson, fish and a panda, with baby cub! No joke!
.
.
Here what was new was that the fish were animated and swam. They were coi carp so colourwise, really caught the eye, along with the water effect. However, with me being a fish hater and accidentally falling in the pond, it just made me just want to get away! There's no reason to say why they couldn't have teeth and start mauling my poor avatar! lol. Meanwhile, the butterflies peacefully flapped their wings and generally were a nice visual. They were quite calming to look at. This being the first instance of me seeing animals being animated, I liked it - it provides potential for future discoveries.


.
I seem to have commented on these a few times before, but again, the flashing dancefloor had been somewhat upgraded, as not only did it flash all the colours under the sun, it also had visuals to go with it. They were shadow effects of people dancing, but moved, or danced along the progression of the colour cycle. Another nice touch - I like this area!

.
In real life, you are warned not to go near lit fireworks, but that rule goes straight out of the window in there. I managed, bizarrely, to get MEGA close to a firework blowing itself to smitherines. It was another pretty visual, the sort of thing you can achieve using a particle effect in Blender.
.

.
Duda Beach seems to be a democratic place to. One of the many bulletin, say hi, or welcome billboards offered the opportunity to voice ideas for improvements. Ideas pitched by fellow DUDArians included allowing paintballing, removing the big signs, along with too many theredocs.
.


Now I've not done this before in my journals, normally I comment on all the well designed, unique, maybe interesting items I find round and about. But this time, I was struck to comment on bad design. I don't know what it was meant to be, what it was meant to do, but it didn't look good. Colours usually draw the eye - for the right reason, but this time no. It was blocky, had clashing colours and generally looked like a product of the punititive pixel days of 1996!


.
To end my journey today, and to close my journal now, after the sun set, I looked up and gazed at the deep night sky, full of hundreds of brightly lit stars. This is one of my favourite views I've managed to experience. I like it in our real world, I like it in the virtual world. So all that needs to be said is... goodnight.


.
@

No comments: