Friday 8 February 2008

there.com #7

I decided to take a chat based approach this time. The majority of my experience in there had been travelling around, seeing the sights and finding cool toys.

I found a new island called the Pool of Narcissus. Expecting something eerie, probably cos of the link i formed from Narcissus the witch in Harry Potter, I was surprised, but then not so, when I found sand, palm trees and more grass! - Pretty much the standard fare of there.com.

As soon as I teleported in, I found myself next to a girl, who I noticed different from all the others Ive seen due to her having a different face, or a variation in the least. So I started talking...


Her name was ace333Jenny and I found out that she was in Germany, which surprised me because her english was so darn good! Strangely, I keep finding little references that refer to being here in Nottingham, and so indeed, Jenny went on to inform me that her Mum and Dad lived in England for several years, in Nottingham in fact - it's a small world! We had other things in common too. We have both lived through the joy that is working at a call centre. We are both going through or completing the pursuit of a degree.

I told her why I was visiting there.com, for my course, and the conversation just kept going really.


She had just finished her degree in English Literature and Philosophy.


She has visited England, citing the climate and culture as to her liking! Obviously didn't come when it had rained then! - In fact, it was two days.

She likes travelling, and is hopefully looking at going to Sweden or somewhere in that region.

Her favourite song at the minute is Rockstar by Nickelback.


And as limited and uninteresting as that may seem, it took up all my time on there.com. Obviously more was said than mentioned above, but that my friends, can be labelled under the art of 'idle chit chat'.



This has made quite a nice change to my experience so far. I basically spoke to somebody properly - I didn't have to race them in a buggy, I didn't have to remember GCSE French to be able to convey a message! In truth, I find this to be non too dissimilar to that of a chat room, all be it with added graphics and visuals. When I was 15 I found this great fun, but now, a few years later, it does seem a little unauthentic - reality and real conversations still seems more appealing to me. -Obviously there's still a little way to go for such technology to be totally convincing. Saying that, I learnt in my tutorial today that a woman was having a virtual affair through a cyber world and was actually contemplating leaving her real husband. Some people are just down right mad, or plain unfaithful!

@




P.S. I've not forgotten about the hidden treasure...

No comments: