Wednesday 9 January 2008

there.com #2

Well in the bizarre online world, I at first thought that this random stranger was ignoring me... however, after persevering, I found him to be French and so probably couldn't understand what I was saying! Not ignoring!


This resulted in me bringing back my repetoire of what I could remember from GCSE French and I think he understood me! A few examples being "Quelle age as tu?" and "Quelle est ton passetemps prefere?"







This is one thing I never thought of when signing up to such a site, I just expected everyone to talk English, in fact, I didn't even think about the possibilty of other languages. Granted, he could speak English a little, but nonetheless, the virtual world means you have the potential to mix with a far greater community than you would probably ever likely have the opportunity in the real world.


One of the things we're going to focus on for this module is creating an avatar, a second digital version of yourself. Unfortunately, being new to there.com I haven't yet been able to change my appearance any. I'm guessing, but I can see the requirement of money arising and at this stage, am not that deeply involved for it to be a worthwhile transaction!

But still, I'll keep you posted on what I get up to.

@

No comments: