Tuesday 29 January 2008

practice makes perfect - the tree edition

Right, so back from our third seminar in 3D Max, strangely enough we made a tree! ... the very thing I'd been making last night. I decided that being as I'm a big LOST fan, I'd attempt at putting something together that is islandy/beachy.



This is what I came up with. What works well in this is the effect of the sand. I raised and lowered certain parts of the floor plane, then coupling this with an image, to me, has worked really well.

If I were to work on it some more I'd probably focus more on the actual leaves. These are just all the same colour and quite shiny. Obviously to make it more natural I'd have to use different gradients of green, alter the shapes etc. Nonetheless, I don't think its that bad for my first palm tree go.

Something I also had a go at creating after following a tutorial was some nice grass. I had a few attempts, different lengths, different coloured blades of grass. This one below I think would fit the island theme more, it is longer, more wild type grass. There's still room for even more length though, which would suit even more so a wild rural area.



However, flip to 3D Max, add in a tutor who knows what he's doing and you get something like this.

I chose the colour scheme firstly cos I thought lets make it British, or lets make it American. Then progressing with this, I decided to make the "leaves" star shaped, in kin with the American stars and stripes flag.




(youtube has downgraded the quality of the file, apologies)

Kudos must be given to the cool modifying effect in materials: diffuse and opacity. It enables you to see through the object, and then, to enhance it even more, you can select 2 sided, which shows you the back of the front... if you get what I mean!!

Before rendering, it was a last touch, but has turned out to be one I really like - I put a main spot beam directly above, and as can be seen, it makes the leaves shadow onto the ground. I really like how the star shapes mingle and merge. It reminds me of Christmas and decorated trees!

If at all I were to modify it again, I would probably opt for a thicker trunk for the tree. It does seem a tad overshadowed by the volume of 'leaves'!

@

No comments: