Thursday 31 January 2008

avatar design #2 initial sketching

I've moved onto the next stage in my research... planning designing.

First up, I tried to link together all the pictures from my moodboard and see how I could fix this around a human shape - everything included.


There are two main points which I think form my identity. The cheerful, happy disposition I have and then my adoration and addiction with technology, and it playing a big part in my life. Trying to piece these two factors together were my goal.


This is my first sketch at how I possibly vision an avatar to be. I admittedly have put a lot onto this design, but it sort of stands as being a visual drawing form of a brain storm, an ensemble collection.

For the colours, I am not one who shys away from promiment or bold colours. However, maybe shiny, glossy blacks and silvers for the modern, futuristic look? I've managed to fit in quite a few traits of mine as well. The DS, iPod and phone all being the technology part, but within these, I'm singing along the music, always having my phone ring and taking part in the game competitions. For those of you keeping up, you'll be able to link this with my mood board!

The lightbulb in the thought bubble shows that I have creative spurts, but also can think logically and intelligently (i hope!) due to the maths sum. The chequered mark on the jumper is my reference to MINI, with it's own chequered roof, I'll look into this more so to advance it's message.

In all, this is an emphasised, extended version of myself, but fit and workable for the virtual world. It'd be difficult for me, what with me being a man, to juggle phone, music and games simulataneously but virtual me can! And this fits in with Rowden's view on the art an identity, in that you present yourself as you wish to be seen:

I would like to think of myself as a cool, techno savvy person. As well I'd like it to be that friends and family see me as a happy figure, with a positive outlook on life. That's how I see myself anyway, these are pretty much my core values which Rowden emphasises the importance of.

--

Alongside I have also had to consider the environment that I could position my avatar in. Obviously by using somewhere complimentary, not just completely random, would mean being able to further ingrain my likes and build the bigger picture, further reflecting my identity.


Of the three, I quite like the games arcade/computer room. It has great potentional for including addition likes of mine, in quite inventive ways. An issue may arise in actually understanding these meanings, from a strangers point of view. As with all art though, it is the thinking and goings on behind the scene thats add to its overall poignancy.

Now I need to focus on things a little more closer I think.

@

No comments: