Monday 18 January 2010

SPP3 - postgraduate course - Loughborough Uni

I found this course courtesy of Sarah's tip for hotcourses.com.

Ever since leaving school I have wondered whether I should have just gone straight forward and got a job. After all, there's nothing wrong with working your way up the ladder. The same again has applied throughout University, on graduation I presumed I would head straight out and look for employment.

However, after finding this course, it does make the premise of an Masters quite appealing.



The advantages:
  • Loughborough is about 20 minutes from home so I would be able to commute even easier than in my current situation which involves commuting to Nottingham for Uni
  • The price of a Masters has often been made out to be much much higher than an Undergraduate course. I was therefore surprised to learn that the one year of taught is £3500. Notably you have to find this money yourself, as Student Loans Company

  • don't cover Postgrad.
  • Full time actually means full time on a Masters course. Part of the problem with the current course in the first two years was that it didn't seem consuming enough. With full days, this Masters course would likely have me on the ball continually.
  • I would be learning valuable information that will complement the skills I have gained through my undergraduate degree study. Key examples include Java, legalities of IT and digital networks.
The downsides:
  • Would be adding to my student debt with no guarantee of a better job position simply because I have a Masters
  • May not be of much worth for the job I end up getting (admittedly though, the more knowledge the better)
  • Having to complete more research, projects
  • Delaying the commercial experience so often sought after by employers for web design/dev

No comments: