Wednesday 13 January 2010

Live client - Foot Power website analysis

Another foot health inspired website I have found in Foot Power, which covers for the Brighton area.


The first thing you notice is the mid grey background. This doesn't really do anything for the site, and a coloured choice would probably give a fresher feeling to the site.

Another thing that I noticed instantly was the use of block capitals and Times New Roman. It looks more like something that you would get from a Word document, not a website.

Furthermore, I think it can help putting a photograph on, so that the identity of the practitioner isn't as daunting to people who invite them into their homes. However, I think there is a fine line in getting a personal photo right. This one is on every page, which I question.It can look amateur and not put over the right message if the photograph isn't good. My recommendation would be to get a proper photo taken and then utilise it on an About Me page.


Again, it can be seen that personal photographs, this time of feet, can have quite an off-putting effect. Feet at the best of times can be something quite difficult to stomach so seeing these here, although perfectly acceptable within their context, can give an unwanted feel to the page. Again, if you are to do it, do it with proper professional photographs, and limit the goriness.

Another notable thing that can be seen in the last screenshot is the addition of random buttons, placed to the bottom left of the page. These are not instantly noticeable and do not appear to be a considered placement.

--

If there is one thing I like this site for, it's the categorizing of the content and I will suggest this to my client. The navigation options are clear and understandable, although admittedly could do with a little better ordering: about me and where I am seem to logically fit better next to each other rather than apart.


What is odd is that the pictures used are actually quite pleasant, yet they don't always add to the site. This door image is one example. OK, you can see that the practitioner has a nice house (this perhaps being the main function, for reassurance to the customer that they aren't going to be visiting a dirty, run down building) but I don't think you need this. It seems a little unprofessional. A clean, aesthetically pleasing site, that is well formed and considered in its content should be able to put over the quality of the practitioner.

--

As with other sites I have reviewed, I found a page that lists in a Word doc type, copy and paste job, on foot problems.


This is too much text, admittedly it might be good content wise, and headings have been used to divide up the content, but I think it could do with more breaking up, highlights, larger headings, perhaps even graphics used.

--

The Product page is a worthy reference point, as my client Footworks intends to put up a few items that can be purchased, possibly through an eBay shop applet.


The most obvious thing you see on this page is the pink, and so it could be ascribed that it works in drawing your attention, but there is no continuity with this design choice, it has not been used elsewhere on the site and so I believe this to be a case of the practitioner simply pasting it in from Word again.

--

Overall, photographs can work well and add to a site what text cannot, and so this confirms the main recommendation I will make, which has been gained from this site: take care with the visual quality of photographs, make sure they are professional and suitable i their content.

@

No comments: