Sunday 17 January 2010

PRP - artifact #1 - desktop site created

Following my last post where I identified a few design trends that are modern, popular and used across the web, I have now formed the first artifact: a desktop website that will be accessed from a touch screen device.


I couldn't really think of what to make the site about, however as this isn't fundamentally important for this artifact I put together a portfolio type site about myself.

The main desktop design features included are:
  • A top navigation bar that I have used as a Quick Links bar
  • A three column layout to section the information
  • Large H1 text/typography
  • Styled hyperlinks, this time being indicated by the fashionable dotted underline
  • Hover effects which 'box' the links
  • Lightbox optimised gallery
  • A large footer
The next step after producing the site will be to monitor and analyse the desktop site on a mobile touch screen device. I will be seeking out legibility of text, scrolling, how noticeable hyperlinks are, and any issues they encountered, amongst other things.

I can already hypothesise what will disrupt the browsing experience through my research in the literary sources.

  • The inline textual hyperlinks, smaller in their nature, will be harder to notice and more difficult to activate.
  • The large H1 text will be the only text they can easily read and likely notice.
  • The three column layout will expand out of a portrait oriented device, meaning that horizontal scrolling will need to occur to find the information. This can be disorientating and mean content goes unseen.
  • The Lightbox gallery will not run on all devices due to it's coding foundation
  • The hover effects will be of no worth, as touch screen doesn't have a physical 'hover' interaction
  • The images will not have the clarity that is achievable on a larger screen, due to lower resolutions. They will likely also add to the download time due to their size.

  • In the meantime, should anyone want to have a look at the site, they can do so on this link: www.ashleyelton.co.uk/artifact1.

    I shall be back soon to post my results.

    @

    1 comment:

    Steven Bailey said...

    Works fine on ye old iphone- slight issue with displaying top nav text but everything else including lightbox works.