Monday 8 March 2010

PRP - artifact #4 - 3G/2G speeds tests

Part two of artifact #4 considers the download capacity/speed of 2G (EDGE), 3G and WiFi on iPhone and Android. Through my research I found a source that stated 3G was now around 1mbps.



I initally considered making a Flash piece with a loading bar and Action Script that dictates 1000k or whatever, has to be downloaded before proceeding. By filming this, I could then time how long it takes for the amount of data to be downloaded. However, straight away I realised this wasn't possible - Flash isn't allowed on iPhone.

Next up I considered using really graphics at set data sizes, i.e. 1mb, 800k, 600k, going in stages down to 10k. This proved slightly more difficult than I originally expected.

Here are some of the originals:


The problem lay in the fact that being a simple PNG they weren't 1mb or 800k in size. I considered duplicating the picture on the page when it loads, so effectively a 100k picture repeated 6 times would simulate a 600k download. However, once the picture cached once, the phone would just repeat it thereafter, meaning the test wouldn't be effective.

---------------

Consequently, I used bing as inspiration and used actual photography at set data sizes.

After a little tweeking I now have a set of images ranging from 1000k (the equivalent of 1mb) down to 10k. This should put the 3G and 2G networks to the test.


Testing results will be uploaded soon!

No comments: