Monday 1 March 2010

Client - mid-build browser testing

I haven't done it this way before, but I decided to look up the site midway through it's build and check it in the other browsers. It makes sense really, you can tackle problems as they occur. Development lesson learnt.

As can always be relied on, Firefox, Chrome, Safari all rendered as I wished the design to be laid out. Nothing really surprising there.






----------------

Opera seemed on the whole fine, but the line-height on the sIFR was off a little on random links. Nothing massive, but a little strange.


---------------

IE8 managed to tackle all the main site features well, which is encouraging, but struggled on the slideshow plugin. This may be a faux pas on my part. I used RGBA, a CSS3 feature I believe, and so this doesn't work in IE8. This can be easily remedied though by using opacity tag instead.


-------------------

IE7 starts the typical run of IE errors. The divider line is incorrectly positioned, top right for some reason. Bizarrely this doesn't happen in IE6? Also, the shadow effect that I have built around the main div holding the content continues off the page. This needs to stop when the main div does.



Again, the orange alpha layer has been omitted. I expect this to work when I use a special IE stylesheet and select opacity instead. That is if opacity works for IE!!

Applying a GIF with transparency and background-repeat:repeat applied does not work either. I believe this is something to do with how the slideshow code works.


----------------

Internet Explorer 6 again has proved the bain in the build process.



The background image doesn't allow the content div to sit on top. Instead it was found at the bottom of the page. The shadow effects can be seen bunched together above, and obviously don't work as they are transparent PNGs.

I'm actually considering whether to ditch IE6 support. With today's browser choice, users will be encouraged to update to IE8. I will try to get the master div to sit atop the background, but other intricacies will require extra attention. Then again, considering the target market, it could well be that they are the type of people who don't update their browsers and ignore security updates... ??

@

No comments: