Friday 24 October 2008

OEP Website Dev - Art that inspires #2 - Research Task

I think I sort of got the wrong end of the stick last time in terms of why we were doing it. Don't get me wrong, I like the offerings of the two photographers, but to use them as inspiration to make a three page website I would admittedly come a little short.

This time however, after going through several batches of previous Computer Arts magazines  dating back to '99, I think I'm onto something a little better. 

Firstly, I found a lot of inspiring stuff. Here are a few, of which I liked, and believe something could be done with them.

Tom Lane 


I really liked the interesting pattern Lane created here. It is very demure, perhaps even with a burlesque feeling to it what with the purple/pink hue used. On the flip side, it does seem quite ornate in it's patterning, a classy piece perhaps? Whilst looking at the intricate pattern, my eyes start forming shapes, as in, is that a creature in the centre? - Such questioning only requires the user to look and pay attention even more, something which I think is good.

In terms of potential, what's not to stop me making a site that focuses around trying to look for things within an image. It's like a gallery, but with a much more honed purpose, almost like a challenge to find the hidden content. This is exactly what I've always liked doing in books - magic eye art or optical illusions, where you have to cast your sight in a specific way to see the image. I can definitely see a well made, good looking version of such a site having a niche online. It wouldn't just be art to look at, it'd be art that you really have to look at.

In terms of expansion, user-submitted content, feedback comments, competitions/eye tests are all possible avenues - it definitely has potential to go somewhere.


Matt Pyke



I am always attracted to bold, striking pieces of work. Make it bold and striking by means of bright colours, particularly like this one of Matt Pyke's work, with the full spectrum of colour, and it's even harder for me to ignore. What maintained my attention afterwards though was his cubic shaped explosion. The use of geometric shapes give it a digital feel, and so almost a futuristic feel. What's more, the cubes sort of point out of the picture as a result of the angle they are positioned. Cleverly, I can note a few techniques employed here which draw the eye - the colours contrasting upon a black background, the thin wavy lines where the shape originates, plus, the diagonal red on green lines, which all command your attention. For me however, the use of stark, strong, vibrant colour is what I support Pyke for.

The majority of good websites nowadays opt for a colour palette and stick to it. This is good practice; it's consistency appeases the audience and imparts information efficiently. I agree if a website is purposed to inform, then the 10 design principles should be strongly adhered to. However, why not go the opposite way and make an all out, fully fledged, multi-coloured, 'art' inspired website? It could be tasteful, as is Pyke's. What's stopping a website, itself, being the visual piece of art? 

Developing the idea, it could have themes, where a particular colour and all of it's tonal qualities dominate the site. All out orange? Raunchy, racy red?

--

What stopped my search for inspiration however was when Rico Torres showed up on the page, a photographer, who of everything, shot these pictures...




That's right. Sin City.

Firstly, I think the images are very striking, particularly this latter one. The character is looking you right in the eye. Added to this is the strong emphasis created by a high contrast - the blacks are very black, the whites are very white. When you think about it, there are only a few colours actually involved here: black, white, skin tone and red. Such a simple colour palette reminds me of another website that had opted for, and which I praised

This piece of work clearly swings to the other end of the spectrum that I mentioned above with Pyke, but this time, it's the lack of multiple colour etc that proves as equally striking and vivid, to the viewer.

The faces/skin appear to glow, due to the lighting and furthermore, the amount of foreboding black makes the actual colour in use, appear really strong and absorbed. The mid-action shot of photo one is great too. It gives over the feeling of a dynamic action being caught in the moment, I really like this, kind of like a well chozen freeze-frame.

The splatter effect that has been applied to the pictures too help make it. Paint splatters, scratches, ageing, whatever you want to call it, it certainly doesn't take away from the photograph. It feeds into the edgy/gritty feel of the pictures.

--

It was the graphic novel/comic book of Frank Miller's that provided the inspiration for Sin City the movie. The look of black, white and perhaps one other colour is a distinct visual reference I picked up on and so it's unlikely Rico Torres didn't want to exploit such an opportunity here either.

Using this line of thought, I can see a graphic novel style website forming. Not necessarily just comic book content either. A fully blown visual look too, would prove highly striking I think.  Like the FWA review I mentioned above, the simple use of black, white and yellow there proved really aesthetically pleasing. Why have something boring, when you can mix it up. Admittedly, I've never seen a comic book visual theme for a site. That could be a bad sign though I suppose?

It could be organised in a way that the navigating to another page actually executes like an actual page turn? Kinda like this. Or, the individual story frames could link to another page. Advancing on that, these individual comic frames could feature the interactive Flash pieces, so that on scrolling over, they come alive and play out a part of a story? The strong contrasted images would work nicely on the eye, whilst perhaps using an extra shot of colour would pay a nice homage to Frank Miller's creation.

Obviously I would have to be aware of ramming the page with too much stuff, so the user just feels overwhelmed and doesn't know what to make of it, or what to do. 

In my head, I'm excited. 

@

No comments: