Wednesday 1 April 2009

It isn't only films that are going 3D... Meet CADIE

UPDATE: April FOOL! What a fool I am. However, my 3D toggle in Chrome works.



Who knows, perhaps I should wipe aside accessibility for my third year research and instead go for 3D, the new 2D web experience? That certainly would be cutting edge.

I never considered this before, but apparently courtesy of a robot web system called
CADIE (Cognitive Autoheuristic Distributed-Intelligence Entity), Google are listening up and have enhanced their browser, so now, equipped with your 3D glasses you can view the web in the third dimension.



I've yet to try it out... but I think this could open up a whole different arena for web. Navigation/usability would have a whole new "dimension" to explore. It really is quite exciting. To a large extent, what makes a successful 2D site has been honed over numerous years, but then came Flash and had us spinning and rotating around 3D areas. Now, traditional 2D has the possibility to join in.


And interestingly, this works on existing, regular sites... 

In other news, within her first foray into the web, CADIE analsyed and formed from her exploration a certain set of visual guides for success within social network design. This might have been useful a couple of weeks ago (!), but in all, perhaps through advertising (I'm wary this could just be one big marketing scheme) and the sheer scope of what she sets out to do, I'm quite excited about CADIE.

@

No comments: