Friday 24 April 2009

iPhone apps downloads 1BN, mobile web up

For my third year projects I had a brain storm and eventually decided to head to the future... namely, mobile web. However, being more specific, I decided to focus that further to iPhone web design. 



For my client project I was a little unsure of the profitability, i.e. should I be limiting myself just to iPhone. However, today, courtesy of an article in the NY Times, another on ITPortal and a blog entry on BBC News Technology, I discovered that iPhones apps sales are up, in addition to stats that of all the mobile web users, the iPhone dominates. 



"The results, from a January survey of more than 10,000 adults, are somewhat dramatic. 84.8 percent of iPhone users report accessing news and information from the hand-held device." (NY Times)

Importantly however, it should be noted that "the iPhone represents only 2 percent of the mobile phones in the UK." (ITPortal) Nonetheless, this still amounts to over a million (ComputerWeekly). That's a substantial audience.

---

For my research it was advised that accessibility has been done enough and therefore, perhaps I should consider mobile web or mobile media as a whole, for research. Interestingly, that could be interpreted to include appls, cloud computing (Google Android), games and the like. I think it definitely holds potential.


@

No comments: