Sunday 15 February 2009

FWA - Honda Green Machine - online analysis

I'm usually all for Honda's advertising/marketing efforts however the latest offering, which OK is aimed at a Chinese(?) I think, market, doesn't seem to live up to expectations.




You control a 'green' character of choice, and using the arrow keys move it along a 2D platform. Visually it is very very basic, using simple green lines. You might almost say it is bland. This could be a clever reference to the simplicity of the Green Machine, however, I don't feel it. 

Whilst before I have really enjoyed large background images, I found that Honda didn't use them to effect. When you hit an object along the course of the 'game', it loads a full screen image that informs about part of the production process to make a green car. Some of the pictures loaded are obscure and quite dull.



However, on occasion they do use some visually appealing images, which due to the angle of the shots adds a dynamic feel providing interest.



Again though I feel they miss out on an opportunity even with the above shot. The one line of information is simple slapped on top. Perhaps it's to do with design conventions elsewhere in the world, but an example of design here use contrasting coloured boxes to encase the text. 4od styling being a perfect nod.

There were even times when I found that I'd exit one large screen image to then instantly be attacked by another item on the level which meant having to wait for that to load, only to be clicked off by myself.



The way I can see this being made better is to incorporate more objects within the level. What's more, there was a 'fun' occasion where I went around a loop-the-loop. Making the level more fast paced, and quickly passing by, much like Sonic games would make this far more interesting.

 

I understand that due to me being English, I could be missing something in regards to Chinese traditions/interests. The link bar at the top of the page could have been more useful to me should I be able to understand them, but these took you away from the green machine section of the site. I'm wondering why it got a FWA? Is Honda now instantly presumed to be award winning?

@

No comments: