Friday 30 May 2008

Honda - Difficult Is Worth Doing

For the first time in a long while (apparently the heydays were the 1950s), Honda last night aired a live TV commercial. It arrived on my TV screen out of the blue.

What they did really pushed the boundaries for live TV and more importantly, live advertising. In under three and a half minutes, their skydivers spelt out HONDA and introduced us to their upcoming slogan: Difficult Is Worth Doing. I can associate with this tag line, it rings true for myself, definitely for Multimedia anyway.

The event lasted the duration of the ad break and afterwards, I honestly thought that that's how adverts should be. OK, it's costly to put on a full three and a half minute advert, but it was effective. Instead of the stop and start, constantly repeated messages that are played to us every break, this is was new, innovative and really impressed me. You sit up and pay attention.


Over the last few years, we've come to expect some interesting,
intriguing stuff from HONDA and this live ad will continue to carry
forth that reputation.

Part of the Identity module required us to form some sort of branding
for ourselves. I got quite into it, and enjoyed crafting my Identity
brand. Cut to HONDA and I have real admiration. They think totally out of the box.

In the past we've had the cog parts that all ran into each other and cause a chain of events:


This was definitely something that got you talking the next day.

We've had the choir imitating the audio of a car journey:


Recently we had a rubix cube inspired one, where they built a model of a car from blocks.


In all, I have real praise for the Honda advertisers. They break the mould for adverts, and not in a bad way. They make quality pieces of work. Admittedly it's not so clear as to what what they're selling (can you name three of their cars?) but the brand name sticks in your head, it has a following and a reputation now in terms of advertising, and I'd thereby assume themselves as a company as well.

So with the new strap line being ushered in, we can only hope for bigger and better things to come. I predict that in the same way I sat and watched their other adverts, on it ending, I'll think to myself - "wow". Well done, Honda.


@

No comments: