Monday 2 February 2009

Flash games inspiration/evaluation




This game I remember playing on my Gameboy and even without colour and updated graphics it remained a popular choice for ages due to the gameplay. I like how they have developed the idea here so that there is a more honed objective (hit the target) rather than just having to remove all the blocks.

If I were to update or adapt this game anymore, I would perhaps include blocks that are immovable (I wouldn't be surprised if that challenge is set in a later level) thus making it more difficult. Or, add in a time element which increases the sense of pace. Why not add in a sort of automated two player counterpart, so you are racing against the computer through a number of levels, side by side?

In all though, this game succeeds due to it's simple premise - move the bat to bounce the ball up in the air removing blocks. You do more watching than playing with this game too.

---




I mention this game as I think it demonstrates the fine line between simplicity or being too easy. Your mouse is a block that must eat black squares but dodge red. I find it fun, yet I can perceive it being not for everybody who would leave due to finding it boring and not enticing enough.

Admittedly, to combat this, the producers have encorporated special items which affect game play. One example includes slow motion so you are able to grab a number of points easier, but then on the other hand, the speed increases which makes for a more intense game. The shock of being hit by a red square which is exaggerated by a large abrupt audio sound had me trying again... that being the third time.

If I were to adapt it in anyway would be to enhance the graphics. A black box could become something, just with a little more detail. Perhaps adding a character face would add humour as it would only be seen fleetingly :) or :P when wizzing by. Even adding a gradient effect would provide rather than just the flat white background. I would keep the watermark scoremark though that constantly ratches up in keeping with the score - a nice visual effect yet again, the placing in the centre of the screen could become distracting. Perhaps an intentional technique?

---


Another game I am fond of is the Sonic tunnel levels, where you race down a never ending tube and have to dodge enemies, but try and collect as many rings as possible. The 360 degree access makes for further interest, offering more challenge, but it is the high speed requiring quick responses that makes the game fun. Plus, the incredibly catchy 'ching' when you pick up a ring makes for an addictive quality.

If I were to make any game it would be this. I wouldn't want to alienate by making it seem too spacey or geometric (sorry, couldn't find an image of the old geometric green space shooter game that I can't remember the name of):



I actually think the colours and textures would be hard to nail down so to get a good visual. Perhaps themes - a field theme, with grass, sky, then a circus one with stripes, sand, or even a underwater theme with waves at the top, fish, and the sea bed. It could be fleshed out definitely. Plus, an encouraging sound effect is a must, although noticeably, I often turn off the sound due to finding it repetitive and annoying!

@

No comments: