Sunday 2 December 2007

interactive narrative - flash

Well, after spending a few hours on Flash, watching the tutorials, trying it out on Flash, and then watching the tutorials again, I'm making some progress with the software.

I've always been able to use computers, I can never remember being 'trained' how to make them work, or to do certain things. I always just used to have a go on the ones in the shops and just sort of knew what to do. With Multimedia being my first time at the Adobe Creative Suite, I'll admite I have felt a little lost at first. I'm used to Windows: how they lay everything out, and where to find this button that does that. Adobe on the other hand is a brand new setup for me, so slowly but surely I am having to pick up bits here and there.
Another thing I've noted is that the tutorials aren't quite as up to date as the software, we're on CS3 now, things change, move place and so it can confuse you just a little!

Jools provided us with a template with the coding and so on already included. It had a few plain buttons and so to be understandable to everybody, it is generally quite basic.


I wanted to add to this though, change the buttons, add alternate wording and generally do the yes, no, yes, yes pattern (which works behind scenes) in my own order. Soooo, I've basically only kept the code and built my own from scratch. Whether I'll be thankful or hating this decision, but I've got over 40 shots, so if it comes to the situation that I need to alter code, it's going to take a little longer than 5 minutes!



It can get quite difficult and tedious remembering the number button you inserted, then the 'handle click' you're currently working on, and which frame you want 'yesBtn5' to link up to. But I certainly do like the look and feel of what I'm producing. I am now making a point of repeatedly saving just incase I lose it and that means having to go through importing the images, changing the code - all timeconsuming activities, but more over, annoying!
I'll repeat it again, but this piece is really quite heartfelt, the acting is fantastic in putting over the emotion the girl is feeling. I just hope that I'm not being too easy on the subject, i.e. disrespecting the sensitivity. I worry that I am just being full on, maybe in need of a bit more tact? -But this is all due to the topic I'm covering, so I will focus on this throughout, when reviewing.
What is going to be very important is to perform a testing session. Firstly, to make sure the code all links where I want it to, but also, that the text is all legible and the target audience can follow the story and know what they are meant to click on and do.
In the mean time, I've got to record some dialogue to add over the top. I'll also need to decide whether to include a soundtrack, this may divert attention away from the piece, or not be 100%suitable. I'm a perfectionist so not happy until everything is spot on! Equally though, music could feed into it well. A bit of genre analysis and exploration I think is needed!
@

No comments: