Sunday 9 December 2007

interactive narrative - evaluation&conclusion

It has definitely been a learning curve in this last project of the Narrative module. But as of now, I am able to use Flash, know where to find things, and how to get it to do things (most of the time!)

But at long last here it is: 'Suburbia - bliss?'


It is all fully functioning, the buttons link to the right places, the sound cue and sync with the correct frame. Lastly, and most importantly, it tells a story, an interactive story.


The whole process of making this has been again an enjoyable one, quite fulfilling, if tedious at times (blame the darn computers!)


I am really happy with this piece as it is the first of its kind that I have ever produced. The images I took are all relevant, and in my opinion, really lend themselves to the telling of the story. It is true that a picture can tell a thousand words, and I have to thank the people who were involved in the shooting and recording process.


My other projects in the Narrative module have been edited so in effect, are mostly devoid of bright, vibrant colour (or none at all in 'One Shot'), whereas in this one, it makes a change to feature the full colour world we live in. -This being the reason I didn't go for any effects, as I wanted this piece to be realistic, so left it as it was captured by the camera.


Suburbia - bliss?

One Shot

Killer Shoes

We were told that narrative was the primary focus for this piece and I believe I have tackled that aspect well - the main message of my piece being 'get help'. It also highlights the difficulties that people do have to live through, and although a narrative, I want it to reflect and make aware that this is not just a story, but reality.


Initally, the brief told us that we had to have a minimum of 7 images. I honestly couldn't see how you could tell a convincing narrative in this at all - it would be over before you'd really started. Hence, when I set about taking the pictures, I didn't limit myself, I just shot and captured what I thought was needed to fulfil and give justice to what I was trying to tell. In all, my piece features over 40 images! (Only a tad more than the minimal 7 I hear you say!)



I was worried at one stage that this was more a click the next button interactive piece (which is really no different to turning the page in a book) and thereby wasn't really interactive at all. However, to combat this, I included more options than I originally envisioned. All the options still run across the same story timeline, but result in slightly different outcomes along the way.



Importantly, a convincing narrative I believe is one that engages the audience. Hopefully I have managed to achieve this, and if we turn our attention to the character profiles moulded, it could be here that goal is met. The audience should be on Sarah's side, feeling sorrow and sadness for her. On the other hand, Steve should seem quite a horrible, nasty character, even distasteful. If the audience are able to feel this, it means they are engaging with the piece, being involved in what's happening. The icing on the top of the cake is that they can then influence the progress of the story they are seeing unfold. They should be eager and looking out for the next opportunity to help Sarah out and get her help/to safety. -The very essence of an interactive narrative.



I did have to pay attention to the sensitive subject that I was talking about. Sound clips I could have included at the start, maybe just a little jingle, wouldn't have fitted with the violence, and could have proved distasteful so I made sure the dialogue, sound, and images were all as appropriate as possible. The instances where we do see violence, it isn't too over the top, not making light of the subject, but instead, is straight forward, so the audience can get the gist, and then not to have to see a nasty fight ensuing, proving uncomfortable if not done well / correctly.


When it came to the recording of the sound clips for the dialogue, I tried to make sure the vulnerability of Sarah was brought over as much as possible. I wanted everything to sync in together, i.e. to see a hurt Sarah, to hear a hurt Sarah, and to feel for hurt Sarah. To have someone talking flatly, and without feeling would draw back from what this whole piece could provide as an experience: I wanted it to be convincing, not just a project that I'd been set, which needed sound and so I recorded sound.


The original template used big yellow, arcade game style buttons.

This didn't fit with the navigation I wanted to implement, so I had to create a host of buttons. In all, I made forward buttons, similar to that on audio equipment, back buttons, in addition, to 'yes', 'no', 'kitchen', 'lounge' and other scene specific buttons.


In addition, it was really a must that I use a different style from the arcade style gamer buttons as it simply wouldn't have fitted with the domestic violence premise.



What I also believe works well, as I mentioned before in my media post, are the images that really capture the moment: the sadness of Sarah, the awfulness of Steve's actions/personality. Words can tell a narrative, but to really connect with an audience, the images that we as human beings are able to read and interpret, are much more convincing and engaging.




The title screen that opens the piece I would have liked to use a Google Map satellite image of an area of suburbia - exactly what the piece is about. However, there being problems with copyright, I went about making something in the vein of a house estate plan.


(Seeing as Blogger is now owned by Google, this image is all part of the family so I'll use it here!)

I did pursue the use of housing estate plans that building firms originally create for their plot layouts. I must admit its quite basic, but had this been about the art, I would have put a lot more into it.

In addition, they are only little bits, but the sound effects that play in the background, the chopping of the carrots, the ironing sound, the beeping of the keys as she uses the phone - all little touches that help make it more realistic. If I had completely omitted them, they wouldn't noticeably be missed, but included, I believe, is far better for the piece as a whole.

The downside that I experienced during the piece came in the form of coding simply not functioning. It wasn't just myself, others experienced the same trouble with it looping, and on checking, correcting and then re-checking the coding script, it still wouldn't work. Very annoying. The only way I knew how to properly correct it without any doubt, was to simply start over. And that I did. It may have proved a bonus though, as in effect, it was the third time I was dealing with the scripting (first was simply to play with Jool's template script, second I manipulated to incorporate all my buttons) and so I was able to watch out for and progress past previous mistakes I'd made. And it worked!!



Lastly, this isn't really anything to do with the work but incorporating the images, the sounds, the text meant that Flash was using quite a bit of processing power. This added to the tediousness of having to wait for it to load, then load when testing the movie. So a powerful computer does help. In addition, (and I actually learnt this along the way), instead of using the high resolution images captured by the camera, compress them down, so they can be worked with, more easily! You cannot tell the loss in quality and it makes life for you and the computer a lot easier.



If I were to do this project again, I would maybe consider doing a happy, fun concept for a change! In no way is the piece I've created bad, or worse off because of being a more serious, deep premise, in fact, I think if offers more to explore, but I think I can excel equally in light hearted, happy ventures, whilst still telling important messages.


Also, whilst thinking through the interactive parts to Suburbia, I originally intended to use image map type links, hiding them in the picture, sort of like the Myst games, where you have to really look what needs to be done, to progress. However, I was met with other challenges before I came to this in Flash, and so had to opt for a more simple button format, just to ensure I could get the whole thing to run from start to finish. Therefore, attempting at trying something like image mapped navigation would be a definite option I'd like to pursue. It would add to the professionalism of the piece, making it seem more sophisticated. However, on the other hand, it could cause problems with the viewer, in that they might find it more difficult to progress, not being aware of what and where the links are situated - something I'd have to consider.


Overall, I am very pleased with Suburbia, quite proud too. It fulfills the original brief, along with the rules set out: at least 7 images, image, text and audio seriously examined, use Action Script 3.0 to build interactivity, individual assignment. It has also acted as a learning opportunity that I've been able to undertake, in Flash. I was able to draw on my previous experience from English when implementing the natural speech featues and crafting the narrative, but then also IT and the technical side to pull it all together, in a tidy, good looking package.



I feel I am now fitting in more as a Multimedia practionier. It is now quite easy to make a movie on a computer, whereas to make something like this, takes a little more effort and knowledge. Ok, Flash isn't that hard to pick up, but still, I'm building abilities and know-how in industry used software, as well as opening up to more platforms for use in Multimedia.

@

No comments: