Monday 22 October 2007

website#1

I've filled up and finished the few pages of the MINI site that I've whipped up. It all links and looks decent enough. Overall, it is a simple, functioning website. What's helpful is that once you've done the main features and layout of one page, its a copy jobby, where you move the code all over to another page and just add/alter the relevant info for that page.

The site has an included feedback form, with subsequent error/thankyou page, and just generally, the making of this site has proved an incentive to go on and make another, and then another - each time adding, bettering and perfecting the art of web design. I can make now something simple. But i want to make something great. (features, looks) So will be having a play about in the background to see what else I can do with Dreamweaver.

Some of the difficulties whilst making the site was that you have to save your work to get it to refresh on IE7 or Firefox. When you change some of the XHTML or CSS and then have a look, it either sometimes doesn't work at all, or isn't what you wanted - it's then sometimes proves difficult to easily get the page back to how it was before!

I need to learn/find out about sizing of elements - pixels, percentages, ems etc. Whilst I can choose one of these and it looks fine on my browser, that's not the case for others, so using these properly is a must.

Here are the screens from the site, I've not put it live on the web yet cos I'm still banging my head against the wall trying to think up a URL that I can use for lots of work, not just specific minidriving.co.uk, for example.

I like the colour scheme; when you hover over the links on the left hand side the colours invert- you find designs like this on proper, pubished sites. Overall I think it has a clear, clean cut design - just what web design should be.

A basic site, but nonetheless, my first!

Over and out,

@

No comments: