Monday 2 March 2009

U2 logo



I'm surprised at how much I like the new logo. It's the most primitive it could be, reminding me constantly of the blocky text we got used to years ago on old mobile phones. 

But there is something in the blockiness, and bluntness that I think works well. It has an impact. It isn't light and non challenging. 

A great idea as an extension of the brand is when they teamed up with the BBC. The square logo we recognise for the BBC nows seem not right, a little too fancy, compared with the rigid structure of U2 that compliments a square housing.



Perhaps it's something to do with the neat symmetry that makes it appealing. It certainly couldn't be accused of being messy. Instead, it's regimented, strong. Interestingly, where the style has been tried and tested elsewhere, it's again been for music related genres. I particularly admire the 4Music spin on things, by putting it on a rotated axis and adding the third dimension. 



Definitely a look I may try to implement in the near future. 

@

No comments: