Wednesday 25 March 2009

Amazing Memory - evaluation

Having now finished Amazing Memory, here's the bits that didn't make the short evaluation.

My main problem namely was initiating the hit test object for the maze walls. Having used an object that the character sits within, instantly the code would recognise it as a hit and bar any movement due to how it was programmed.
I eventually overcame this by swapping to hit test point which can register x and y values, identifying co-ordinates. Now, when the character is inside the maze it can move freely and then on colliding with a wall, the stop movement is activated.



This then led onto the next problem! Whilst hitting a wall, my code removed key presses so that in theory, the user couldn't carry on through. I managed to find a solution by getting it to re-buffer away from the wall by 5 pixels - not noticeable to the player but code-wise a viable option.

The rest was reasonably simple. Courtesy of David Downes' example Flash files, the count down clock worked in it's three forms for my game. I learnt the need to disable key presses whilst the remember/reveal options were active, as the user tried to cheat and move through whilst the walls were viewable.

I noticed a bug in regards to the clock timer going past 0, i.e. counting -1, -2. In my code I had specified when timerclock==0, stop - abbreviated form. David suggested to overcome this by using <=0 as this will encorporate the switching between code and timeline and rectify it so that when it goes past 1, it will activate the stop. Rather than getting to 0, telling it to activate the stop and by this stage it has already decreased to -1 and so on.



Lastly, when updating the graphics the flower became difficult to see when placed in certain areas of the grass background. I remedied this by adding a white padding hopefully making it more legible now.



There were initally the typical problems of embedding the custom font 'Lazy' from dafont.com and me not embedding all the required glyphs. To save problems in the future, I will now just embed all caps, lower case, punctuation and numerics - this covers the span I will likely use.




In all, I found this assignment achievable by splitting it up into manageable development stages. To sit down and code this from start to finish would have been daunting and I probably wouldn't have accomplished it. If I were to make a game again, I would definitely handle it in this way - it's a sound time management system that I have since incorporated in my other modules, such as PHP.


Overall, I am pleased with my game and although difficult to play at first, I find it a different, but interesting game. Submitting it to amateur online games sites however could prove or disprove my opinion completely!


@

No comments: