Wednesday 5 March 2008

there.com #15

I've been on two visits before posting this now. Sad, I know, but yet again, I'll mention a vehicle! I got myself a hovercraft for four free hours courtesy of the starting island offers (which I just managed to stumble on!)



Unfortunately, flying up in the air for ages isn't the most fun thing, so I left the up key on my keyboard pushed down with a pen and went away for about fifteen minutes. When I came back, I was near a small independent island, so jumped out - and that's the truth. I plumeted to the ground (half of me wondered whether you could actually die, like in Tomb Raider or something, where you just crumple on the floor) but alas, I bounced back once and then landed on the new island.

There wasn't that much out of the ordinary here, I saw two people who did the usual and blanked me, but like Captain Jack Sparrow I did find some 'treasure me hearties!'
.
.
Back on the mainland, I came across an area which made me smile: Bible School. The Church which was nearby had an open door, so I waltzed right in. As can be seen below, it was a nice building, quite airy with big windows. I didn't know if I should have expected pews and an alter? That'd be interesting if somebody has made a bona fide Church!

.
What I did find though was a little out of the ordinary. On the top floor was a luxury red bed, the sort of thing I'd picture in a boudoire!! Still, my avatar looked comfy enough after getting in.
/


When I first logged in, I am given a welcome screen informing of the events taking place, for example, the prom they are having on the 23rd March. I chose to visit a really flashy, urban, New York like city and I should have guessed that all the cool looking textures in the photo would take aaaaaaaages to load. In fact, the only building that loaded was an MTV branded one - much like Coca Cola Metro city I've visited previously.
.
.
I spotted a man darting along the street and decided to follow. He disappeared down a tunnel with steps and instantly I figured out what this 'tunnel' was- the underground!
As with above the ground, not that much loaded texture wise, it was as if I was in an urban heaven! But I really liked the design of this subway-it had escalators, waiting rooms, different levels, even a carriage that you could sit in, all very authentic looking.
.
I managed to find the man who I'd followed. He said that when it first opened, it had been a really popular place to be, bustling and so on. Now though, it was pretty much a ghost town. He informed me that his first visit required about half an hour of waiting for anything to start loading! -Maybe I'll go back and hang around, because I'm sure that with everything working, this will be a fantastic environment. Obviously subways have the same sort of platform design, but I thought of the film Ghost when the lead character is trying to learn with the tube guy. Even little things like that, it just helps build up an overall familarity.
.
.
The second part of my trip today, and I received a welcome gift:
I'd been upgraded to an Avid Board flyer! In truth, I have been spending quite a bit of time on my hoverboard, it speeds things up whilst exploring, and you can dodge in and out of places easier. Anyway, with my skill level upgrade, I was given some more new places to visit, and new appearance changes.

I could have a diamond studded earring, which as can be seen below, made my avatar look stupid! So I decided against wearing that new accessory. On the otherhand, the new top they gave me, along with trousers meant that no longer am I cursed with the newbie tag! Wahoo! People might talk to me now without any sarcasm!
.
.
I came across a nice house, and on poking around, found in to be a very nice place. It had a nice kitchen, with pots and pans.There was a office sort of set up, with a computer and phone. - Sort of in the same vein of the office which I made! Then there was a very nice big four poster bed, with posh curtains at the windows. They even had a garage on the lower floor! I certainly would like to live here. If I was to put my mind to it, I'd quite like making kitchens and so on, it's much like the Sims where you decorate, furnish. Hours, and I mean hours can fly by just doing that!
.


As I mentioned, another part of the gift is access to a new place, to teleport to Bali Hai. On landing in this new spot, it seemed quite jungle like, tropical. But more over, I got the feeling that this was like a themepark, maybe the dino section at Alton Towers, or the parks in Florida, maybe like Disney's Animal Kingdom. The second picture below screams to me Jurassic Park - now that would be cool. Where are the towering dinosaur statues in there? That'd be a snapshot for sure!
.
.
Perhaps the themepark feel isn't a solitary thing, just for Bali Hai? After all, I have been to the Magic Kingdom... lol
.

:)
.
Last but not least, I knew it couldn't last for too long. On a revisit to the caravan park, there was somebody flying the American stars and stripes! Then a little later in my journey, another one high up on a mast!
.
.
Still, I can always find myself a bit of Britain in the form of this good old red postbox - a friendly symbol of home!
.


It's as if going to there is like going on holiday. Any small thing that links to, or reminds you of home, you are drawn to. And on that note, I'm now going back to the real world. There's work to be done, instead of the rambling around this fantasy world allows!
.
@

No comments: