Sunday 27 April 2008

national television - online web analysis

Today I came across a site, and I think for the first time, a site actually hit me and made me think: 'this is amazing.'





NATL


It is very much a graphic design site. For a AV company. On the homepage there are no pictures, borders, columns etc. There is a simple bright red background (a favourite colour of mine) and uppercase typefaces are striking and eyecatching and I liked this snubbing of traditional web design. in fact I really, really like NATL.


Moving your mouse over the site results in the mouseover effects on the textual buttons fading on and off, even this, a simple roll over, add to the visual appeal, the aesthetics for the site.


Being a keen fan of motion graphics, on clicking the buttons, it sweeps down more options, with no stutter and in a smooth, controlled manner. Again, another tick in the box.



Navigation wise, things motion on and off in a crisp, quick way, whether that be horizontally or vertically. You click a link, which then move to then make way for the newer information, whilst still remaining on screen (handy for when you want to choose next where to go.) And importantly, you can see the little arrow which takes you back to the main options. (Although on this dark background, some of the links weren't visible. A quick move of the mouse though and they glow, so not too bad.)





I think one of the reasons I like this site is because it's big (font and typeface) bright (red and contrasting colours), it's bold (for going pictures and typical layout structures). Funnily enough, I couldn't find any information on the site initially (whether that was due to not giving it enough time to load? Pre loader maybe needed?) but regardless, the basic design elements were enough. Who says that the web is only for holding information? Why not a digital gallery with some very nice looking pieces as well?


It actually reminded me of the Kook's artwork. They use this type of look in their band branding (try saying that quickly three times in succession!).


But all in all, I think I've found my FWA. Period.


@

No comments: