Wednesday 19 November 2008

OEP Web dev - Stats and Facts

I did some layouts previously which I intended to choose from to implement in my design.

Importantly, I forgot to consider the banner size regulations. Obviously there are a variety of sizes to choose from:





Before I even get onto the banner sizes, I need to know what restrictions I have in regards to the html page, which will house the banners. Folklore has it that a certain amount of people still sit with their screen resolutions whacked up to 800x600, making everything supersize, but also super missing out. 

However, after looking at the W3's statistics, it appears there is light at the end of the tunnel in the year 2008. 

1028x768 or higher is the norm, more or less, nowadays, with a paltry 8% having still not having found the resolution adjustment button, viewing at 800x600. (W3, 2008) 

This is a good thing, as it means I am freer to work in a slightly bigger content space, but also, importantly, it means that I can encorporate, should I wish to, two banners, side by side, in comic book panels:

 
Total width = 768
'Large rectangle' banner width =  336 (x2) = 672

So I know now that I do have options to install my banners and with space to spare!

@

No comments: