Thursday 20 November 2008

OEP Web dev - Eyeing up the competition

I thought it would be a good idea to see what others had done, in regards to the online comic book format.

A
search on google brought up 4,840,000 results, but as far as I can see, a lot of websites tend to list the names of comics, their price, or ISBN number. These are directories.

It may be a relatively new format, perhaps like the
e-zine. So I tried e-comic as a search query.

Bingo. (slightly).


War of the Worlds

I like this one, firstly because it is an online comic. However, they display their content using a page per comic book panel. This doesn't seem to fit/work in my opinion. It makes it seem a bit slide-showy. Comic books are traditionally 6x6 panels, not continuous splash* pages.

*A splash page is an introductory image that alongside the title and credits, starts the story. It usually is full page, and features quite a bit of visual content/detail to entice the reader. (Martinborough, 2007)

Another site I found was ilovemyhotgeek.com



In it's premise, it displays a comic book story and you get a number of panels per page. However, I find it a little too basic. I think I may be becoming a typeface snob, but any sign of Comic Sans and I tend to think this won't be cutting edge stuff.

The next one I found was better, but it didn't capitalise on the comic in my opinion. 



The site opens like any other - it has a home page with notifications of updates. Noticeably it has it's Flash banners too, advertising the comics, so it shares some similarities with our brief. To access the comics, you need to click the link on the left... perhaps people see websites as being like a newspaper, and as you would have to turn to pg 76 to see the daily comic strip, you should do that online too? 

By the by, the quality of this site, for example, the graphics are definitely heading in the right direction. They are modern, with shine&shadow and a broad colour palette. Of what I saw, it is definitely the best. Again though, the comic book was hindered by being navigated in a slideshow manner. I can sort of understand the reasoning; placing several images on one page means you lose the glory factor of what each image shows, due to their size restrictions.

For further examples, this site lists further online 'comics', and so does this one does too.

Interestingly,
when I downloaded Chrome, I noticed they had set their information in the form of a comic. Quite a few bloggers voiced their opinion too. 

These are actually a useful form of public opinion for my own site. One person felt the comic book idea was smart, but got very dull whilst another found it’s different, fun, and informative. Obviously I shouldn't encouter the dull side of things as we are only using 3 pages, but these opinions are useful information to be aware of.



I think this works well. Instead of a pdf containing 20 pages of marketing blurb, the comic book format feels quite welcoming. It isn't threatening. It cleverly incorporates simple worded statements alongside visual representations. Visuals speak far quicker than words, your eye is naturally drawn to the picture first. 

The creator Scott McCloud also has his own webcomics. These follow the slideshow setup, but he has made it different by zooming into the next frame. Take a look to see what I mean. It's an interesting variant, one that I initially liked but can perceive it to become quite tolling on the eye, having to see that effect over and over again.

--

From looking at these various pieces from the web, being honest, I think I sort of have a niche for what I'm going to do. Nothing really wowed me. Striking visuals, something out of the ordinary wows me. These therefore are sort of my target goals.

This research has been useful in helping me confirm the format of my site - I will be using the 'comic book look' as a vessel to disseminate the information. it will use the layout and practices that are standard in the comic book industry, pictures within panels etc. However, I am using that to house my content. I suppose what I am trying to say is that I am not going all out to tell a visual story, the front page with it's links will resemble this, but not truly be a story.

Perhaps a reference point that us previous generation CITV kids will remember is Zzzap!



This TV show used a massive comic book layout to hold it's individual sketches. That's more the idea I've got in mind. It will look like a comic, it will have comic book images, and characters etc. But it won't be a three page story book site.


@

No comments: