Saturday 22 May 2010

Is WAP making a return?

Facebook is launching a zero version of its site. It intends to be data light and charge free!


What this immediately reminded me of were the olden days of WAP - text after text after text.


Indeed, although this version allows you to update your status and communicate with friends, as soon as you click on a link to view a photograph the free status stops.

----------

I can see a benefit with providing the most stripped down version of the site - accessible to more people on more phones. However, this contrasts with what I have been pursuing in my testing - promoting design on touch phones.

Whether WAPs legacy is to face a resurgence, as this 0 version could help set itself as another form of communication, like text, or email remains to be seen. It really does open up that possibility. But I thought that Facebook worked because people could nosey and comment on everybody's photos?! A desktop/laptop priviledge, or is it in fact contextually unsuitable for photos on mobile devices? - Not quite what my results said for art #3, 5, 6.

@

No comments: