Wednesday 10 December 2008

OEP Web Dev - User testing and Browser Testing


Having just come back from our peer review session I found it really useful. Not only because you are able to see the "finished" works of what everybody else has been getting on with and learn about how they did something, but because you can learn from them about your work too.

In all, I am pleased with the status of my site now, compared to a few days ago. It has "character" said one feedback comment, and I agree now. The typefaces/colour scheme all feed into one sort of unified identity for the site. I am also really pleased that I altered the heading logos. It just goes to show that playing around can lead to successful results. All the more reason to do as many variations as possible!

I knew the navigation method wouldn't please everybody, and sure enough I got a couple of comments regarding the "strange" positioning, but on the flip side, a few identified with it and found it "easy to use".

I have always been torn over the roll over eyes banner. I didn't know if I should provide some instruction as an indication that there is interaction available. Sure enough, I could have achieved this through using the comic book caption box, but then I didn't want to spoil the surprise factor either. In the end, I think I am going to leave it un instructioned, in respect of my artistic integrity!

Importantly though, I found some pointers from which to improve my site, from the feedback.

I learnt that the main pop up on the index page, due to it's trigger button location, kept issuing a new pop up repeatedly, because the mouse remained in the same area as the trigger. I forecasted two ways of addressing thing. One, I could make it MouseEvent.CLICK, rather than the current MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER. The other option, was to make use a little more Javascript code in the Flash trigger button action script and move the location of the pop up window completely over the trigger, thereby removing the chances of repeatedly launching new popups. Being as a pop up is in it's very nature, a pop up, I didn't want to have to make the trigger require a click, hence I went with using the Javascript approach, and it now works well. 

To double check this, I have used all the browsers available at my disposal (IE7, Firefox 3, Google Chrome, Opear) to do some cross platform testing. 


Luckily, everything works across the board, layouts did not go awry, the images were all correctly aligned, and it all remains smack bang in the centre of the browser window. The only tiny downside is nowadays browsers block popups on behalf of their user, to avoid annoying them. This remained true for my own popup, so I will include a readme note in the root folder to warn my assessors of this. 

The only thing I am left to do now is to compile my evaluation document (I sure have enough content on this here blog to get going with!) and hopefully tie up the last loose end which concerns the php and getting it to relay the feedback response, to the actual comic book page.

@

No comments: